Make a Crazy Patch Placemat in this class. If you have an embroidery machine, you can make this placemat in the hoop. You just lay the fabric pieces in the stitched areas made by the design, and it stitches for you. After the crazy patch is made, it even decorates with the emblishing stitches. You can purchase the design on www.myembroideries.com. See coupon offer below.
If you don’t have an embroidery machine, we will teach you how to make a crazy patch from scratch. Then, you can decorate it with the decorative stitches on your machine.
After four blocks are made and sewn together to make a placemat, we will teach you how to back the placemat and hem the edges using the Quick Easy Mitering Tool. Come for an afternoon of craziness and fun!
- Sewing machine with embroidery unit
- 240 X 150 mm hoop
- Sewing thread to coordinate with chosen fabrics (This may be a way to use up bits of left-over thread and partially filled bobbins.) If your thread color is light and cannot be seen easily when sewn onto the Warm and Natural, you will need a darker sewing thread for the first step.
- Bobbins filled with sewing thread
- 1 spool of 40 wt. rayon embroidery thread (for embellishment)
- You may use bobbin thread for the embroidery portion, or you can use sewing thread (your choice).
- 7 colors of coordinating fabrics
- For EACH placemat, you will cut 4 pieces from the pattern that is provided. You can cut these 4 pieces from scraps of fabric that approximately measure the sizes below, OR you can buy 7 (or 8) different fat quarters.
- Color #1 6” x 15”
- Color #2 4” x 11”
- Color #3 6” x 10”
- Color #4 4” x 12”
- Color #5 6” x 11”
- Color #6 5” x 17”
- Color #7 6” x 14”
- Backing for EACH placemat 18” X 14” (This can be a separate fabric or one to match a part of your block
- Tear A-way stabilizer
- Warm and Natural batting (You will need 4 pieces that each measure 9” x 14” for each placemat.)
- Basic sewing kit (pins, hand sewing needle, thimble, scissors, etc.)
- Quick Easy Mitred Binding Tool (#140002480)
- Edge Joining Foot (#412796845)
- Rotary cutter
- 24” ruler
- Paper cutting scissors
- USB stick or floppy disk for your sewing machine so that we can give you the design
- Crazy Patch Embroidery—HV design collection #130—available for $89 on www.myembroideries.com **See below
Preparation before coming to class
Cut out the fabric pieces prior to coming to class. (This is the part that takes the most time!) You will need to come into the store to get the pattern for pattern pieces and sizes.
**There is a coupon for 50% off on myembroideries.com that you can use to purchase the design. Ends 6/30/13 midnight Central Time. Code “everything50”.
Please arrive 5-10 minutes early to give you time to set up and let us start class on time. If you signed up for this class but later find that you will be unable to attend, please let us know well in advance so that we can call a person on our waiting list to take your place. If there are too few to sign up, we reserve the right to cancel the class. Your machine must be in good working order, and you must know the basics of how to operate it before coming to this class. Also, please be kind to those with fragrance sensitivity by refraining from wearing colognes and perfumes. Thank you.